Thursday, April 17, 2014

Room to Improve

The most important thing that I learned from writing a synthesis essay were the strategies for shaping the analytical section of the essay. I learned as a writer that I still have plenty room to grow. Through this process I learned how many elements one topic can have. As a student, I realized how much time needs to set aside for great research.

The thing I struggled with the most was trying to choose which research to include in my essay. I  believe choosing such a new topic made it a little more difficult. There were so many things I wanted to include but couldn't because of word count. The next time I will pick a less complex issue to discuss.

Peer review, this time around gave me that "ah! now I see" moment. It made me realize how much I have grown, but also how much I still need to grow. Reading my peers' papers also helped me to see how many angles I could address my topic. The biggest benefit of all was seeing how well my peers gave examples of topic sentences following the thesis because it is something I need to improve on.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you found some benefit from the peer review. This is why we go through this process. Hopefully you are now ready to transfer some of these skills to your Argumentative paper. I wouldn't necessarily worry about changing your topic so that it is less complex. Just make sure you always double-check with the professor regarding their stance on how closely you have to stick to a word count. I think you're doing great. I look forward to reading your final paper and I am pleased to see that you recognize your strengths as a student and a writer and where you can still improve. This is excellent.

    ReplyDelete