Sunday, February 2, 2014

An Identity of a Writer...

Wordy- Since before I can remember, I have never been able to explain my point of view. I always get wrapped around my words, which makes it hard for others to follow. I once spent 30 minutes trying to express my feelings to an individual about my family. Because I had so many angles I could take this topic, I could never choose which path to take. I started off talking about my childhood family. Midway through the conversation, I realized, I should have started with the mother, I am today. Because I didn't, I found  myself lost between my train of thought and the conversation. I was all over the place. The worst part is I never knew when to be quiet and let it go.

Receptive- Another good word to describe myself is receptive. I found out through life, that you must grow to accept everything for what it is. Living life open-minded is a great way to gain knowledge through others. Being receptive helps to build my character.

Aggressive- Aggressive, one word that I am not so proud to hear describe me at this age. I allow my emotions to get the best of me when I am passionate about something. I always try to stay level headed but once my emotions come into play, I lose my train of thought.

Realist- I like to think of myself as a realist. If it cant be proven wrong, then it must be right. There are certain things in life that can't be argued. If a shirt is grey, you wouldn't call it black and white mixed.


Trying to come up with four words to describe ones writing style is easier said then done. I haven't written enough papers or blogs to truly define my style. The four words I have chosen is a start to understanding myself better as a writer. Although being inappropriate is a bad thing, I believe it will help me set boundaries. Being wordy will impact my work in a major way. I need to be able to portray images on paper, without babbling. Babbling can confuse your audience or even worse, lose their attention. If I want to be a successful writer, I must set realistic goals. Being a realist will push me towards more non-fiction novels. I love writing about true life events. Writing about something I can relate to makes it easier. The imagination is a powerful thing, but so are we human beings.

1 comment:

  1. Nice entry, Vanessa. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I hope between your awareness of these personal characteristics and the papers we write over the course of this semester you feel better able to articulate what your style is as a writer. I feel like I already see some of these words appearing in and shaping your writing style and that is exciting. That means you have good self-awareness. I look forward to seeing your writing evolve over the course of the semester!

    ReplyDelete