Sunday, February 23, 2014

The bigger picture

While reading Malcolm Gladwell’s Tipping Point, I couldn’t help but think about what in my life could have been part of an epidemic or something close to it. The only thing that comes to mind is pregnancy in threes. In the article Gladwell speaks of epidemics having to be contagious, small but effective and happen abruptly, not gradually over time. The “baby bug” is definitely an easy thing to catch around pregnant women.

When I got pregnant, two of my friends were expecting as well. Although this was something I was always told about, it was never something I believed. Until a couple weeks after one of our friends delivered and I got a call from another friend informing me she was pregnant. It has been a continuous cycle of three pregnant friends ever since then.


I enjoyed Gladwell’s illustration of how the little things in life, may cause drastic changes. I couldn’t help but wonder what made him look in depth at the big picture to have even noticed the impact of the little things. And now I find myself asking, what have I missed by not looking? For instance, I would have never considered the impact snow could have on a puppy. Reading his story about his puppy, reminded me of mine. I remember my puppy, only five weeks old, reacting in the same manner in which he speaks. The only difference being that he saw how the little things could cause a bigger action. My eyes are now open and I will be paying more attention to the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Great personal connections here, Vanessa! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you essentially agreed with and bought into what Gladwell was writing about. Was there anything in his article that you disagreed with or found yourself questioning? I also feel as though I have noticed a similar phenomenon with pregnancy…there is some element of it that almost suggests an "epidemic-like" quality…kind of bizarre.

    ReplyDelete